My poppy seed cake is a wonderful cake, its both soft and delicious! (even to those who don’t favor poppy seeds).
To make the perfect poppy seed cake I add a little bit of coconut to the mix and always use fresh grind poppy (which you can also freeze for future use).
As I mentioned this recipe is so easy to make as it does not require any special equipment or skill, just Mix and pan.
Poppy seed cake
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 200 ml sour cream
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 1 cup ground poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup dried coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Grease 2 English cake pans, set aside.
- in a small bowl whisk together the flour baking powder coconut, poppy seeds and set aside
- In a large bowl mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract until mixture is combined
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until the mixture is smooth and with no lumps.
- Evenly Pour the mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes, you'll know it's ready when the cake's color is golden brown and when a taster inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and set aside for at least 10 minutes to cool down.